Menu

Centenary Mass to celebrate 100 Years of Dominican Education in Portstewart.

 

“Dominic built his ship both spacious and very happy” 

In 1917 Portstewart had a growing population of over 1600 people, yet there existed no provision for the secondary education of children in the town.

This was to forever change in the summer of that year with the arrival of the Dominican sisters who would go on to open St Mary’s Dominican Convent, Portstewart. The school would subsequently open its doors on 3rd September with the grand total of sixteen boarders and five day pupils.

The first prospectus described the site, with its commanding position a hundred feet above sea level as “a lofty eminence overlooking the Atlantic”, and so the Dominican centre for education in the north-west of Ireland was established one hundred years ago.

The first mass was celebrated on June 24th 1917 by a Vincentian Father and One hundred years to the day we will gather as a Dominican family again on Saturday June 24th for a special centenary Mass and Open Day.

The mass will be held in our local Star of the Sea Parish church at 2.00 pm and this will be followed by refreshments back in the school. We are delighted that our new School Oratory will also be blessed on this day to help us both reflect on 100 Years of Dominican education and to look forward to the future of the school as a centre of excellence as we continue to build on the very proud legacy of the Dominican Sisters.

All are welcome to both the Mass and the Open Day which will allow visitors a chance to tour the school, see photographic displays of Dominican through the decades and to reminisce.

We look forward to seeing members of our local community and all those associated with the school past and present to be with us on this most special of occasions.